Friday, February 12, 2010

Finally Time Warner comes thru

Have spent the week settling in and setting things up. One of the things I really need is a good Internet connection sooooo on the advise of some in the park I decided to go with a Time Warner cable Internet package. The park uses Time Warner for their free cable TV and Time Warner has a package where you can get an Internet modem on a month by month basis at a reasonable price. Well I went and picked one up on Tuesday and installed it myself (quite easy once I returned the faulty power supply) but had another problem ...... it was not reliable for Skype which is what I got it for in the first place. Of course I had to call a 1-800 number for tech support and finally got someone using up many of my minutes on my phone. They tested the connection remotely and said everything was fine I said no it wasn't so they passed me over to the local office (more time on hold) they tested the same things and said it was working I said no it wasn't so they bumped me up to the 3rd tech level who you guessed it tested the line and said everything is OK I said no it isn't so they agreed to send someone out the next day to check things out. Wed. a tech showed up in the morning tested everything and said everything was fine but I showed him what the problem was and he agreed I had a problem finally someone believed me. Unfortunately it must be a line problem and he didn't do lines but would send someone out first thing tomorrow. Thursday morning the line tech showed up and tested the line and said everything was OK sooooo I showed him what the problem was (basically it worked fine when it worked but it wasn't consistent enough for Skype) He agreed that there was a problem, maybe the modem was goofy anyway he said he would get his supervisor in the case. I switched out the modem (no help) Friday no one showed up all day so I was getting a bit "PP%^$#" finally just as the Olympic games started a knock at the door. Another Tech I showed him my problem which stumped him but he started trying all sorts of things finally about an hour later, he found the problem. by running a line from my trailer a few hundred feet to the main post and voila it worked. He said someone must have nicked the underground line and it was acting erratically. I am so glad and impressed that he stuck to it until he found the problem. I now have smoking fast reliable Internet, and another crew will be back tomorrow to bury the temp. line he laid down. You can Skype me now. Hurray and thanks Time Warner.
Doug.

No comments:

Post a Comment