Wednesday, January 27, 2010

braking braking

Left Coushatta rv park this morning and set out along Louisiana route 12 towards Houston. I like to get off the interstates when I got time to explore the real world and see how everyone else lives. A lot of people in Louisiana seem to live in prefab homes and because of the high water levels most don't have basements. Another thing that struck me was the big disparity between rich and poor.
Anyway as I was driving along up pops a deer right in front of me ...........whew got a chance to check out the new brake controller, the trailer brakes and the exhaust brake and all were pushed to the limits and performed perfectly. The deer will live to scare someone else another day and my unit will live without dents, at least for now. Unfortunately the inside of the trailer didn't fare so well........no major damage but one of the doors in the kitchen popped open (note to self secure with bungee cords from now on) and the dishes crashed to the floor. I was lucky I guess because I only lost one corell plate (smashed into a thousand pieces) well I will have to vacuum again, and look for a matching plate to replace it so Sue won't find out. :-)
I am always amazed driving through big cities (must be the urban geographer in me) and Houston is on building spree many things seem to have changed from last year in the corridor I travel along. I 10
I am at the Houston West RV park and will stay here for two nights ..... gotta hit camping world and Costco before I head on down further south. this is a nice park with gravel pads with good WiFi at least so far.
Well off to vacuum
Doug

1 comment:

  1. Hi Doug.
    Thanks for the invite to read about this year's trip. While I'm reading your entries, I'm reminiscing about the days I drove my motorhome, in both directions, across this big country. I must congratulate you, if all you broke was ONE dish, during your deer encounter. While jamming on the brakes it's a wonder you didn't lose a whole cupboardful!
    Take care, and enjoy every minute!!
    Sherrill

    ReplyDelete